Other than the normal routines of washing and waxing, there are many things you can do to make your classic car sparkle. Here are 10 great tips on how to detail your pride and joy:
1) Chrome Trim – If possible, try not to touch chrome trim with your bare hands. The oil from your skin can create smudges and cause the chrome surface to deteriorate eventually. If you see smudges or fingerprints on the chrome surface, wipe them off with a soft cotton cloth.
2) Upholstery – If there are oil-based stains or grease streaks on the upholstery in your car, remove them with baby powder. Apply the powder on the stained spot and wait for about half an hour. Then, use a soft nylon brush to dust it off and vacuum the spot.
3) Interior Carpet – The best way to clean interior carpet is to use compressed air. Spray over the carpet in a sweeping motion to flush out dirt from the edges and corners, and then, use a vacuum cleaner with a wide hose attachment to get rid of loosened dirt.
4) Dashboard – Cotton swabs can be used to clean hard-to-reach areas on the dashboard, such as gauge seams, dashboard vents, and slots for air and temperature control levers.
5) Wheels – Remove dirt from the crevices and voids on the wheels with a toothbrush. Use a toothbrush with nylon bristles if there are intricate patterns or spokes on the wheels. Make sure the type of cleaning solution you are using is suitable for the surface material.